GKS stands for global Korea scholarship. This is a scholarship that is backed by the government of the republic of Korea and is implemented by the national institute for international education which is an organisation that is operated under the control of the ministry of education of Korea.
The global Korea scholarship started in 2010 when the government of Korea took all the scholarships supported by the government under one umbrella called GKS. The aim of the program is to facilitate a greater understanding between the republic of Korea and other nations through educational exchanges and human resource mobilisation which will contribute to international peace.
Specifically, the government seeks to reach out to developing countries with software-oriented development assistance in education
Programs Under GKS
They include invitational programs such as ;
Korea Government Scholarship
This program provides students from other countries the chance to pursue an undergraduate degree in Korea
The global Korea Scholarship Summer program
This is for students who are from Africa or Latin America who are invited to Korea for an in-depth academic training as well as a chance to have a first hand experience of Korean culture so as to raise future global leaders.
The Korean government scholarship program is for international students who want to pursue a Bachelor’s degree in Korea. The Scholarship is available for masters and PhD level too. This scholarship is fully funded and it provides non-Korean the opportunity to acquire a Bachelor’s , masters and PhD degree after one vigorous learning of the Korean language. It aims to develop global leaders and to raise Korea-friendly networks globally.
Benefits of the KGSP
- Airfare is paid
- Tuition fee is paid
- Resettlement allowance
- Medical allowance
- Living allowance
- Research cost
- Research support.
- Scholarship completion grant. It is not offered to scholars who decide to settle in Korea.
- Medical insurance
- Korean proficiency grant
- Language training fees.
Number Of Scholarships Awarded
The total number of beneficiaries worldwide is 1,276 from 153 countries . About 170 applicants get the awards annually.
To get more information about the Korea Government Scholarship program see here
The summer program is a 5 week event that invites 80 participants, all undergraduate students ( 40 from Africa and 40 from latin America.)
The students are nominated by their university and the recommendations is sent to NIIED who are responsible for the final selection of the participants. NIIED is an executive agency within the ministry of education.
- An applicant has to be a citizen of an African country or From Latin America.
- Applicants should be from the 2nd to the 4th year of college in Africa the scholarship is fully funded and provide or latin America.
- Should be fluent in English, priority will be given to applicants who’re also fluent in Korea.
- Be mentally and physically sound.
- Should have the ability and willingness to adapt to Korean culture and life.
The selection will be based on
- Fluency in English or Korean language
- Personal statement
- Recommendation letter
– NIIED will be responsible for the round trip from the home country to Korea.
- Room and board during the entire duration of the program will be paid for by NIIED
- Travellers insurance
- The participants will be responsible for transportation within his her country, visa fees etc
The Korea global scholarship is a group of funding opportunities that are offered by the government of the republic of Korea. There are very generous grants and fully funded scholarships that are met useful ti international students seeking to pursue a degree in Korea.